Privacy and Confidentiality
What do I need to know about cookies?
Cookies are small pieces of data that are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or application. We use them to:
- Remember information about you.
- Help us understand how people are using our services, so we can make them better
- To deliver advertising
- Analysing how you use the website
- Giving you a better, more personalised experience
What happens if third party cookies are disabled on my browser?If third-party cookies are disabled on your browser, some features may not work quite as you'd expect. This is because, some services rely on cookies to work properly (like personalisation). If your browser is blocking third-party cookies, some of these features can't work properly so you may experience problems with our website.
If at any time you do not want information about your browsing behaviour to be used for the purposes of delivering advertising to you on this website, you can "opt out" as described below. You can also opt-out with the links provided above. If you do choose to opt-out you will continue to see adverts but they may be less relevant to you as they will not be tailored to your interests
What kinds of information do we collect:
Information you’ve provided to us:We collect information about you when you provide it to us, like when you send a message to our support team through our contact form.
Information from your device:We collect information from and about the device you are using when you interact with one of our websites, apps or other products/services, including adverts. This may include:
- Device Type: Information about your operating system, hardware, software, browser type in order to tailor the experience to your device (e.g. screen resolution).
- Device Operations: Information about your operations and behaviours performed on your device to tailor the experience based on how you or similar users have interacted with our content.
- Unique identifiers: device IDs in order to save your preferences against an identifier to refer to on subsequent pages.
- Device Settings: Information from your device’s setting such as access to your GPS location/Information related to the location of your device so that we know which version of the website to serve you.
- Network/connections: Your IP address, so that we can recognise if you have visited us before and allow your device to communicate with our websites and apps.
Social media:If you log-in to our websites through a social media site, such as Disqus, you are granting permission to Disqus to share your user information with us. This will include your name, email address, location, plus any other information you have permitted to share with third parties.
How we may use your informationBy using our websites, apps and other products and services, we may process your information for the purpose of providing you with such products and services and managing our relationship with you, which shall include (without limitation):
- communicating with you in relation to your account (if you have one) or service, service updates or other non-marketing communications;
- delivering customer services and support;
- dealing with, and responding to you about a comment you have submitted for or on our message boards and other such user generated content facilities;
- maintaining records of our communications with you if you get in contact with us;
Location based services and advertising:Where we provide services that utilise your device's location, your location will be determined either from a lookup of your IP address in a "GeoIP" database which lists information provided by your ISP (usually your closest town or borough) or your precise location directly from the device (such as through GPS or Wifi on mobile devices) where you have granted permission for us to access this location information via your device settings. We use such information to provide you with a more tailored, relevant experiences when using our websites/apps. Where you have granted permission to access your device’s location and consented to us to use your data for advertising purposes, this location information may be used to tailor the advertising you receive, including showing you certain advertisements when you are in the vicinity of a particular location.
Measurement and analyticsWe may use certain information (such as the websites that you visit and advertisements you see or click on) to help advertisers and other promotional partners measure the effectiveness and distributions of their advertisements and promotions.
Improving our services and productsWe may use your information to monitor and improve our products, content and services. This may include (without limitation):
- developing the design and style of the our products and services to make improvements
- carrying out statistical, technical and logistical analysis to inform our strategic development
- blocking disruptive use and ensuring the security of our products and services